Facebook for musicians can be a driving force in building a music career. Today’s podcast focuses on the right way to use Facebook groups to build a music career.
I created a free group, Female Indie Musician Community which now has approximately 1,650 members and tons of engagement. With so many Facebook groups available, musicians in all locations, especially rural or remote areas, can have doors and opportunities opened to them simply by joining and networking within these groups.
When looking for groups to join, make use of the search bar in Facebook. Searching for keywords, such as genre, location, licensing, performing, etc. can lead you to groups that you would want to be a part of. Be sure to pick your areas of focus so you can determine how many groups you want to be a part of.
How to find Facebook groups:
- Use the search box in Facebook- use keywords such as genre, location, performing, etc
- Look for high levels of engagement
- See what friends are in a group to determine the quality of people in that group or how many members, how many new members there are, how many people are engaging.
- Choose groups that are moderated
How to use Facebook groups:
- Help others in the group, make friends
- Be supportive and contribute
- Collaborate with other members
- Be professional
What NOT to do:
- Spamming the group with irrelevant topics
- Self promotion
- Taking and not giving back
- Being negative or argumentative